Watch Me Entertain Myself!

Sacha Guitry once said, "You can pretend to be serious, but you can't pretend to be witty." Oh yes, I'm the great pretender.
(pilot episode: 20 January 2004)

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Monkey Business

One day D announced that he was thinking of going into business.

“What kind of business?” I asked.

“I don’t know yet,” he frowned. “All I know is that I want to have a business of my own.”

“If you want to succeed,” I offered, “then I suggest you choose something that you’re genuinely interested in, so that what motivates you is that interest, not just the money.”

D crossed his arms and thought. He always has this far-away look in his eyes when he’s deep in thought. “I wonder….”

“How about raising dogs?” I suggested. “You love dogs.”

D’s eyes lit up. “Yeah! I could breed chow-chows.”

The brainstormer that I am, I tossed around several ideas as well. D also threw in his thoughts.

“Food business is always good. How about operating a food cart in school?”
“Sandwich guy? But the sandwiches are made-to-order.”
“Internet café.”
“Set-up major DOTA matches.”
“Selling DVDs.”
“Selling vitamins.”
“Selling drugs.”
“Selling tapa, tocino at tuyo.”

And then it hit me.

“I know na!” I exclaimed. “How about an all-male, all-hunk, carwash? They must be shirtless while washing cars.”

D laughed. “But most car owners and drivers are male!”

“So?” I replied. “The guys are for our enjoyment, hahaha! Besides, the word will spread like wildfire among the bekis. Soon all beki car owners will go out of their way to have their cars washed at your carwash. Even if their car gets a small smudge, they’ll say, ‘Oh! My car’s so dirty already. I must have it washed now!’ even if they were there a couple of days before.”

D was giggling and shaking his head.

“I wonder what will be the name of the carwash?” I wondered out loud.

“Wash & Wait.”
“Wait & Watch While We Wash.”

“I know!” I said. “Wash Your Karu-mihan.”

And this will be the peg:


2 comments:

spaquarium said...

lol. ask joms about it. He and I have been playing around with that idea for the longest time.

On my end, I want it (the car wash) with a cafe that hires part-time college students (preferably varsity athletes) wearing their jerseys and/or campus colors who want to earn an extra buck. :P

joelmcvie said...

@TONY: How come that bit about Joms didn't surprise me? Hahaha! No wonder you can't get him to change his plans if he decides to have his car washed.