Watch Me Entertain Myself!

Sacha Guitry once said, "You can pretend to be serious, but you can't pretend to be witty." Oh yes, I'm the great pretender.
(pilot episode: 20 January 2004)

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Honk My Horn If I Like McVie

I received an email from an online friend from Jakarta, and he wrote: “i met up a filipino guy in jakarta who is a photographer. U might know him. When i ask him about u... he actually told me that u r someone who is quite famous in town and ur blog is quite well-known amongst the gay society”

What the—?!

Alright, whoever you are, fess up! Have you been talking about me? Huh? I personally know only two (professional) photographers; neither is in Jakarta, as far as I know. My gosh, I’m just an ordinary bloke from a small town (okay, okay, city na nga pala) of Marikina. I don’t quite mingle with gay society (is there a gay society here?). My blog has much, much less traffic than Gibbs or Mig’s MGG. It’s never been nominated to any of the blog awards, big or small. I don’t get invitations to any of the blogger activities and events. And I have so much less detractors than some of my colleagues (you know you’ve got it made when you have detractors wasting their time and effort on you when they could have spent it on something more constructive, like world peace or something). I prefer a niche profile, if you don’t mind.

Then again, that’s Jakarta. Oh all right, blab about me in Jakarta then.

7 comments:

Nelson said...

O di ba? International ka na! He he he

But seriously, I do think -- or at least have a sense -- that the McView Show is quite well-read. It's very funny, well-written, witty and you manage to keep it fresh -- hindi napapanis! I'm just not sure if it's just among the gay people. I'm very sure there are those who silently tune in to your blog everyday like it's news (parang guilty pleasure, no?).

You know you're famous when a total stranger approaches you and say to you: "Hey, I've been following your blog! I know you!" sabay ngiti.

Kakapraning, no? ;-)

joelmcvie said...

@NELZ: Mas nakakaloka if my cousin would come up to me and say, "Hey, I've been reading your blog for the longest time. Does Tita Ching know?" sabay wink sa akin. Eeeeeeeeeeep!

Anonymous said...

hellur! i'm going to sound like a broken record, but i've said it before--more like two years ago?--and i'll say it again: don't sell yourself short. you have more readers than you think =)

joelmcvie said...

@GBIC: Thanks again. But my point really is that I prefer a small audience for The McVie Show rather than, say, a gazillion. I prefer the gazillions when The McVie Show actually goes on air. Choz! (Asa pa me....)

Anonymous said...

huwaaaaw!! hanggang jakarta nakarating ang Mabuting Balita.

ang tanging claim-to-fame ko eh nang makitulog ako sa presinto dito sa pasay dahil naiwan ko susi ko sa bahay at ayoko naman gambalain ang landlady ko. walang bakanteng mahigaan kaya nakihiga ako sa loob ng bakanteng kulungan. the next day, chismis na dito na nahuli daw ako sa isang drug bust. ang labo... sigh.

pero seryoso, aliw nga mga postings mo eh. pantanggal-sipon kung minsan kapag nakakatawa.

joelmcvie said...

Salamazzz, Palma Tayona! May alam akong mabisang pantanggal-sipon din--yung steam room sa alam mo na, HAHAHA! Minsan hindi lang sipon ang natatanggal. =)

cant_u_read said...

yeehaw!