Watch Me Entertain Myself!

Sacha Guitry once said, "You can pretend to be serious, but you can't pretend to be witty." Oh yes, I'm the great pretender.
(pilot episode: 20 January 2004)

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I Like, You Like?



If Caroline Kennedy has, you know, a verbal tick of, you know, saying “you know” a lot, then I have, like, a verbal tick, like, of saying “like” and the like: “parang”, “for example” and “kunwari”. I guess I’m not as bad as the potential New York senator, but, like, I notice it a lot when I edit our Fabcasts. And because I’m the producer and editor, I have control over whether I’d like you guys to, like, hear all those “likes” and the like—which I really don’t like, so that’s why you don’t hear much of them.

It’s interesting that I unconsciously chose a simile as a verbal tick to stall while I think of what to say next. Why a simile and not a metaphor? Y theory is that I prefer rephrasing things instead of using symbolisms whose meanings may get lost in translation.

It’s like, you know. Yeah.

3 comments:

jamie da vinci! said...

it's, like, not that uncommon, you know. to have verbal tick, especially, like, using the words "like", you know :)even for other languages.

i know for a fact that the chinese use the term "nah ke", which is the counter part of "like" in mandarin; while the arabs would say "yah ni" which is also their way of saying "like" as well.

now.... is there such a thing then as a written tick? kasi i tend to use "quotations" a lot these days... "you know?" ehehehehe.

joelmcvie said...

@JAMIE: Maybe, like, y'know, if you check, like, your Tweets in Twitter, y'know, you might find, like, a written tick that you might have, y'know.

jamie da vinci! said...

ay... yah! y'know, that's, like, a good idea! y' know! :)

like, happy new year! hehehehe!