Watch Me Entertain Myself!

Sacha Guitry once said, "You can pretend to be serious, but you can't pretend to be witty." Oh yes, I'm the great pretender.
(pilot episode: 20 January 2004)

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Speaking Of Signs

Astrology site: “You can distance yourself from your emotions.” (Okay, so I find daily Tweetscope posting irritating, but it doesn’t mean I don’t check on my readings from time to time.) So when I read that two days ago I thought, “Jeez, I don’t need the stars to tell me that. I’ve been doing that for years now.”

My iPod: This morning The Beatles Remastered was on shuffle, when suddenly the familiar strumming of a guitar followed by John’s plaintive voice came in. “Here I stand head in hand, turn my face to the wall. If she’s gone, I can’t go on—feeling two-foot small.” And suddenly old feelings came rushing back, knocking the wind off of me for a second. And I remembered all those times back in college when I had to suppress whatever feelings I had for my straight best friend whenever he’d excuse himself from my company because he was going to his girlfriend. “Everywhere people stare each and every day. I can see them laugh at me, and I hear them say….” I’d end up running to my friends, who of course had no idea of the storms rumbling inside my heart, and I’d laugh my head off while my heart was tossing and turning inside. “Hey you've got to hide your love away!”


Leigh: Several months ago we were discussing my leaving the agency. “You need to experience what it’s like to live on your own, away from your folks.” Maybe I do need to find myself away from my comfort zones.

My mom: “Let’s clean your room. There’s so much junk just lying around, we need to make it habitable.” True that. I find it hard to just throw stuff away, even the paper bags of stuff that I bought (unless it’s from SM, in which case that goes to our kitchen because my aunt recycles them for, oh, I have no idea what she uses them for). When our house was threatened by Ondoy’s floods, I asked my mom and brother to put the CDs and DVDs that were just piled on the floor to higher ground. I guess that’s when my mom realized I had so much real estate wasted inside my room.

Last night, an SMS out of the blue: “I’m looking for a housemate, 2BR furnished place, spacious and with balcony.” It was from a freelance broadcast producer whom I’ve worked with in one Creative Guild project, and she was looking for a housemate. The best part? There’s a maid and parking space.

Looks like 2010 is shaping up to be my year of detachment, and I just might have an early start.

5 comments:

rudeboy said...

Oh, Joel, you're getting your own digs!!! I'm so excited for you! It was one of the best things I ever did, and I hope leaving the nest will bring you new and happy experiences, too.

joelmcvie said...

@RUDEBOY: Yeah. Rent muna, shared pa. Pero eventually I will seriously find a place to call my own. I'll name it Xanadu, a place where nobody dared to go.... =)

palma tayona said...

"Xanadu"? Does that mean you'll be wearing rollerblades, spandex and elastic neon-colored headbands in your own digs?

Good luck with your new independent adventure. :-)

i am beki said...

good luck joel!

xanadu talaga e no? hahaha

Anonimus said...

If you're planning to spend anywhere between 8-9K a month for rent, then you're better off getting a place of your own. Monthly amortization for a 20-year PAGIBIG loan (max you can get because the ceiling 65yo on maturity) should be less than that for a 30 square meters flat in the suburbs. I think you can get that deal for midpriced developments in the Fort. Wag lang Serendra. If you go as far as Alabang and Paranaque the prices are even lower. It's not an easy decision to make, but after you've made it you'll wonder why you didn't make it earlier. Text me. I'll refer you to my agent. Mabait yun and she'll do all the walking for you. All you need to do is sign the documents (all 500 pages of them hahaha).