Watch Me Entertain Myself!

Sacha Guitry once said, "You can pretend to be serious, but you can't pretend to be witty." Oh yes, I'm the great pretender.
(pilot episode: 20 January 2004)

Friday, November 16, 2007

Eye-Popping Pop


I guess the reason why they called it “pop” music is that the best ones have this effervescent quality, and the new song and music video by Fergie has that in spades.

Clumsy may be its title but the song’s production is definitely not. What I love most about it is the mish-mash of old and new. The whirring opening sound (which can only be produced in analog), the bleating horns, the “girl can’t help it, girl can’t help it” chant, and even the spoken bridge in the middle—including the “oohs” and “aaahs” of the back-up singers—all hark back to the sound of the 50s and 60s. But the blips, beeps and beats are trademarks of today’s “sampled” tunes.

And what an infectious tune! You can’t help but tap to the beat and sing along after just one listening. And the chorus is one of those made-to-embed-in-your-mind irresistible sing-alongs: “You got me slippin’, tumbling, sinking, fumbling… clumsy ‘cuz I’m fallin in love, so in love with you.”

I can’t help it, I just can’t help it, I’m so in love with this song right now! Ahhh, giddiness is so contagious.

And the music video is whopping feast for the eyes. It’s literally eye-popping.


Too bad Universal Music Group requested that the embed function be disabled, so I’m just directing you to YouTube to watch the music video at the following link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN9vm95SocU

2 comments:

MYCKLE said...

Love ur blog...The "deranged" post really made me realize that the "advertising" world is not that glamorous at all. I wanted to be in your field BEFORE but I took a different course. Anyway, i like this song(and video) as well. I like the concept of the video, the beat, the lyrics and I've noticed that her sponsors are on the video as well(Dsquared and MAC as she is the newest MAC viva glam girl).

Kai Santorino said...

wouldn't be surprised if this is another rip off... fergie's fast becoming the next avril 'hack' lavigne. can't say that for now though coz i havent listened to this one...

if you noticed.. fergalicious' tune was exactly the same as 'supersonic'

but hey, the lyrics are cool. fergie's cool