Watch Me Entertain Myself!

Sacha Guitry once said, "You can pretend to be serious, but you can't pretend to be witty." Oh yes, I'm the great pretender.
(pilot episode: 20 January 2004)

Saturday, September 05, 2009

Jabbawockeez

I was with my sister and brother, waiting for our order of pizza and chicken wings, when we started chatting about Jabbawockeez. This is the multi-racial dance group with four Filipino-American members who won in the first season of Randy Jackson’s America’s Best Dance Crew. I never knew my siblings were such big fans too of Jabbawockeez until I found out that my brother trooped all the way to Trinoma to catch a glimpse of them live.

“There was such a huge crowd in Trinoma,” my brother reported. “I think even the mall security was overwhelmed by the huge number of people.”

“You know,” I said, “that turn-out’s remarkable considering that the show only airs on cable here. I mean, where the hell did the people find out about Jabbawockeez?”

“Maybe in the internet?” my sister guessed.

“You know, they could have extended their presentation to a full length show,” my brother said. “And I think people would gladly pay to watch the Jabbawockeez in a dance concert.”

“Yeah!” I butted in. “We can tour that concert in the Visayas, like maybe in Cebu. And the title of their show will be, ‘Jabba Diha!’ Hahaha!”

Not to be outdone, my brother chimed in. “For one number they’ll wear Chewbacca costumes and they’ll be called Jabbawookies!”

“Kareem Abdul Jabbar can guest and they’ll call him Kareem Abdul Jabbarwockeez!”

“Eh, what is their favorite food? Jabba rice!”

Oh good lord, it’s in our McGenes.

No comments: