Watch Me Entertain Myself!

Sacha Guitry once said, "You can pretend to be serious, but you can't pretend to be witty." Oh yes, I'm the great pretender.
(pilot episode: 20 January 2004)

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

NPH FTW!

Since June is Pride Month, here’s someone whom I’m so proud to be on our team. Neil Patrick Harris famously came out in a 2006 People Magazine interview, saying, “Rather than ignore those who choose to publish their opinions without actually talking to me, I am happy to dispel any rumors or misconceptions and am quite proud to say that I am a very content gay man living my life to the fullest and feel most fortunate to be working with wonderful people in the business I love.”

Although he was also quoted as saying that he’s more interested in being an entertainer than an example, his excellence as a performer is a shining testament that a person’s sexual orientation shouldn’t even matter when it comes to doing good work. What’s more, I find his example more subversive because he doesn’t make such a big deal out of it; in fact, he actually delights in poking fun at it.

Case in point, the video below. It is his opening performance to this year’s Tony Awards, and NPH nails it. (By the way, Brooke Shield’s flub was painful to watch; NPH saved her in the end, turning an embarrassing moment into a funny one.)



Being proud doesn’t mean we must always shove our rainbow flags onto other people’s faces. Neil Patrick Harris is lucky that in his line of work his being gay is a non-issue. I hope that one day we may all get to be as lucky as him.