Watch Me Entertain Myself!

Sacha Guitry once said, "You can pretend to be serious, but you can't pretend to be witty." Oh yes, I'm the great pretender.
(pilot episode: 20 January 2004)

Monday, May 28, 2007

Destiny Is A Downer

The premise of the TV series Heroes is as simple as it’s intriguing: ordinary people from all walks of life suddenly find themselves possessed with powers. The premise of my so-called life however is pathetic as it’s sad: the people who I like never like me back and would inevitably end up liking each other instead.

Take Case #1: I like Him but He likes Someone Else. I get to know this Someone Else, and I begin to like Someone Else too. Someone Else, after initially getting interested in me, drops me for Him. He and Someone Else eventually hook up; months later they’re a couple.

Case #2: He and I have been flirting online. Eventually we go out on a date. He changes His mind and decides we’d be better off as friends. One day at a party I introduced Him to a guy I used to like. I was just being polite; they were just being flirty that night. Within the week I found out they were already a couple.

Case #3: I told Him of my feelings for Him; He just laughed it off, saying, “But we’re sisters, aren’t we?” Unable to convince Him of the joys of incest, I backed off and started that torturous process of carving Him out of my heart. Months later I meet and immediately liked Someone Else online. But then I find out Someone Else and He have been flirting online with each other since months before. Now it looks like they are the ones who will be hooking up, not me.

Case #4: Oh, you get my point.

Sometimes I wish I were Hiro and teleport myself somewhere else. Sometimes I wish I were Hiro and have my way with Ando. (Woo-hoo!) One of these days I wish I can just turn radioactive and blow up.

Destiny has decreed that the folks in Heroes will play a part in saving the world; here, I’m suppose to play the solo part, a monologue. Sure, it’s a bump up in the billing, but the script says you have no love scene at all.

It’s not that I’m dying to be in a relationship; in fact, I already swore off romantic love. It’s just that it’s so f**king unfair. It’s unfair! Unfair! Unfair! Unfair! Unfair! Unfair! In the Cosmic Crapshoot of Love, Cupid’s rigged it so that I’m a Loser with a capital “L”. I’m just asking for a little cosmic consideration. Why do they have to end up together? Why can’t all three of us end up miserable and unattached? Misery loves company after all. Hmmm, a miserable threesome, perhaps?

Sometimes I think it’s my destiny to be made fun of by Fate. If Life’s a comedy, I’m the punch line.


* * * * *

Don’t mind me. It’s just the weather. Here comes the rain again. An increase in precipitation means an increase in melancholia and self-pity. So far this never turns into a flood. I don’t need to stand under someone’s umbrella; I just need to get my own and I’ll be fine.

5 comments:

John Halcyon von Rothschild said...

Always the bridesmaid. Never the bride. It's the same for me too! Life IS unfair. But I think we're all destined for something better. I think the Man Above has something better in store for you! (I hope!) Hang in there! Ciao!

PS Love your blog!

joelmcvie said...

JOHN: Dear, thanks for that stab at hope, aka "I think we're all destined for something better." And thanks for giving me a topic for the next episode! I've started compiling a list of "what could possibly be better" and I'll post it in the next episode.

Meanwhile, I do dearly would like to return your compliment re my blog. So I promise to start reading yours. May I also link yours to mine? The more links, the merrier!

migs, the manila gay guy said...

this gives me an idea! you, gibbs, and i - the troikasters - are all single di ba? puwedeng podcast topic! hehehe!

joelmcvie said...

MIGS: Mizmoh! Naisip ko na rin yan. Go, go, go! :-)

Anonymous said...

"the people who I like never like me back and would inevitably end up liking each other instead."

at least the people you like or love would not have the chance to hate you (for breaking their hearts, eventually.) hehe.