Watch Me Entertain Myself!

Sacha Guitry once said, "You can pretend to be serious, but you can't pretend to be witty." Oh yes, I'm the great pretender.
(pilot episode: 20 January 2004)

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Contrary Me

There must be something in the air these days. Three people I personally know are in a blue funk. Is it the tail-end effect of Typhoon Frank? Is it the unpredictable weather? Is it the non-stop rise in gas prices? Is it the impending showing of My Monster Mom starring Ruffa Gutierrez and Annabel Rama?

Whatever it is, people are feeling blue these days. Which gives me, true to my contrary nature, a good enough reason to swing to the other end. I’m not ecstatic nor in bliss, but I’m glad that I have a loving family, an iBook G4 that still works, my weekly issues of “Entertainment Weekly”, my bathhouse membership and a big can of Chef Tony’s White Cheddar popcorn.

Hey, right now is a gift—that’s why it’s called present, right? So watch Kung Fu Panda and/or Wanted, eat your favorite pizza, stare out into the sunset at Manila Bay (yay, thank god we have that view from our 20th floor windows) and listen to The Ting Tings’ “That’s Not My Name”. Choose life. Choose happiness.

* * * * *

(Great. Now all I need to do is bookmark this episode and go back to it whenever I feel in a funk.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!

We have a new online store in town - SparkandStyle. We have the coolest tees available for the fashionable guys out there. Our tees are imported from up and coming fashion tees designers in Bangkok. All unique, all original.

We'd be thrilled if you and your blog readers can visit out website and shop with us. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

or watch virgin labfest?

so far i've seen the 2007 Revisited and the Pagkagahaman, Paghahanap, Pagkakataon set. will watch again tonight.

Khan!

Anonymous said...

Hi McVie:

Are those two people nearing their birthdays already? I'm asking because the last 52 days before a person's birthday is usually the lowest point in one's year. It's a cycle the first 52 days after a birthday is the happiest; the last 52, the un-happiest.

I'm near the last 52 before my birthday so I'm beginning to feel it.

Best regards. I've changed to Wordpress, btw. I've linked you up - hope that's ok with you.

cant_u_read said...

well there is one person you know who chose to embrace happiness. he has finally gotten over his fears, bitterness and vile and now he is like that person he was 5 years ago, ready and willing to take the plunge. but only wiser and more cautious this time around.

:-)

joelmcvie said...

@HOMERIC29: Hmmm... maybe their unhappiness has more to do with their zodiac signs? Two of the three are Capricorns (Dec. and Jan.), so that's well beyond the 52-day rule. The third one is Aquarius, which falls on a Feb.

@RYE: Yay! Hooray! =)