Watch Me Entertain Myself!

Sacha Guitry once said, "You can pretend to be serious, but you can't pretend to be witty." Oh yes, I'm the great pretender.
(pilot episode: 20 January 2004)

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Since I’m On A YouTube Mood

I love this “cinematic” trailer for a video game.



It actually reminded me of Coldplay’s music video for “The Scientist.” It uses playback as a storytelling device. By seeing the story unfold backwards, the viewer’s mind is forced to make sense of the narrative, and the full impact is achieved when the mind puts two and two together. The “Aha!” moment becomes more poignant given that the viewer already knows the end first.



But with “Dead Island” it is less about the “Aha!” moment (the “surprise” is quite obvious early on) and more of the bittersweet contrast between the bloody, tragic end versus the sweet, innocent beginning that’s revealed at the very end.

Bloody good trailer. (Alas, I’m not a gamer.)

No comments: