Watch Me Entertain Myself!

Sacha Guitry once said, "You can pretend to be serious, but you can't pretend to be witty." Oh yes, I'm the great pretender.
(pilot episode: 20 January 2004)

Friday, October 19, 2007

Bomb Explodes At Glorietta 2





19 October 2007 (16:15 H Manila time)

Philippine National Police chief Avelino Razon said the blast in the Glorietta 2 ground level at 1:30 p.m. was “probably caused by a bomb.”

“This was a bomb. But beyond that we can't say anything else yet because we are still investigating. What I can say is it was not [liquefied petroleum gas] that caused this,” Razon told reporters.




The explosion ripped through the roof of the mall and damaged nearby shops. Debris from the blast were scattered on the streets. At least 6 dead and 51 wounded.

Because of ongoing public safety concerns in the light of this incident, staff members are advised to avoid travel to Ayala Center and maintain an appropriate level of security awareness/ alertness. It may be prudent to exercise extreme caution in large public venues such as malls and public transport hubs as a precautionary measure. It is a common practice/rule in all potential bombings “expect a possible secondary explosion”.

* * * * *

At around 4:00pm I called the house.

“Hello?”

“Mommy, si Joel ito.”

“O bakit?”

“Narinig mo ba yung bomba sa Glorietta? Okey lang kami dito, malayo naman kami sa sumabog. Kaya wag kayong mag-alala.”

“Ha? May sumabog ba?”

That stopped me.

“Ah… eh… oo. Wala ba kayong narinig sa news?”

“Ay walang nanonood dito ngayon.”

“Aaaaaaahhh…. Okeeeeeey. Sige, manood na lang kayo sa news mamayang gabi.”

“O sige, ba-bye.”

Ahhh… ignorance is bliss.

2 comments:

Quentin X said...

I agree, ignorance is bliss. I was in the vicinity around an hour before the explosion. Had I not planned to meet someone for lunch at Greenbelt, I would have been at the thick of it. We did not even hear the explosion from where we were, probably because we were inside a restaurant. Just as well I did not tell my parents I am here. I did not realise how tragic it was until I saw it on TV. My thoughts are with those people who died and injured and their families.

cant_u_read said...

i also tried calling rems after hearing the news just to make sure she's unaffected by the whole thing. no answer. naalala ko, nasa meditation sitting nga pala hanggang 25. bawal ang kahit anong means of communication. i'm sure sa 25 pa nya malalaman. pag patay na ung balita.

true... ignorance is bliss.