Watch Me Entertain Myself!

Sacha Guitry once said, "You can pretend to be serious, but you can't pretend to be witty." Oh yes, I'm the great pretender.
(pilot episode: 20 January 2004)

Monday, April 13, 2009

The Six-Month Friendless Stage

“Where’s Leigh?” I asked Chette.

She sighed. “I don’t know. She never has time for me anymore! Ever since she had a boyfriend, she’d always tell me, ‘Not now, I’m meeting my Baby tonight.’”

“Well,” I said, “you know how it is. A lovelife always disrupts one’s life.”

“You know what they say,” Chette said. “When you have a boyfriend, you won’t have any friends for six months.”

“Six months?!”

“Six months to a year,” Chette amended her statement.

I thought about it for a bit. “Actually you’re right. Before when they’re single, they’d always look for you. But then the moment they get attached, they stop missing you. They only Tweet about missing their jowa and their baby.”

“And they Plurk,” Chette added.

“And they Facebook,” I finished. And we both laughed.

8 comments:

Lawrence Villegad said...

This is soooo true. I call it the cocooning phase of a new relationship. They need it. And true friends will let them be.

Because you know that after cocooning, they emerge as butterflies. ... unless the cocoon gets ripped open prematurely, then the caterpillar dies. You wouldn't want to be responsible for that, would you?

bleubug said...

LOL!! I know the syndrome well but I've never put a time period to it. 6 months is about right, I think, for normal people. However, how long for those who are unusual is anyone's guess. It's EIS (Early Infatuation Syndrome) and very common. It can often cured by the first major fight but still lovely to see such happiness in action during this period.

jamie da vinci! said...

besfriends.... (sigh) just wait when they get MARRIED!

Misterhubs said...

Di naman 6 months.

2 weeks lang. =)

joelmcvie said...

@LAW: Then there are those who emerge from the cocoon as Mothra, not as beautiful creatures. Then I'd rather kill the monster at the stage where the early signs are clear.

Yes, I'm a monster-slayer. =)

@BLEUBUG: Funny, I don't find it lovely to see. Why? Because it's at an unnatural stage. I'd rather see them when the dust really settles.

@JAMIE: Oh noooo...! A wedding!

@MISTERHEUGE: *cough* =)

bleubug said...

Joel: Spoken like a true curmudgeon which I both appreciate and respect. Sometimes you have to schedule 10 minutes a year to be mushy. I think my time just expired as of 10 seconds ago. Honestly, why can't people like that pry themselves apart once in a while? It's just not healthy. Marriage means a ceremony with an open bar and free food here. That part is worth looking forward to.

Ming Meows said...

pag nagbreak sila pakisabi na lang BELAT!
lol

Ian Rosales Casocot said...

hehehe. feel ko 'to :)