Watch Me Entertain Myself!

Sacha Guitry once said, "You can pretend to be serious, but you can't pretend to be witty." Oh yes, I'm the great pretender.
(pilot episode: 20 January 2004)

Friday, March 13, 2009

Back To You

We Filipinos got it backwards.

I used to wonder why people would rib the birthday celebrant, “Oy, libre naman diyan!” or “Ano merienda natin ha?” Nowadays I’m irked. But yesterday whenever someone would ask or rib me gently, I’d calmly throw back at them the following: “No, I’m the celebrant, it’s my special day, you’re supposed to treat me.” That always stops them in their tracks.

Sigh. Backward people.

* * * * *

Thank you to all who commented in my birthday episode. It was refreshing to be quiet for a change and have you guys yammering away. It was fun. We should do this more often.

9 comments:

Aris said...

haberdey again, your fabulousness! :)

palma tayona said...

HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY BERTDEY JOEL BABY!!

E said...

u know, nung bday ko ang sinasabi ko "walang gift, walang pa-chibog" since walang nagbigay wlang pa-chibog ehehehe

Ming Meows said...

ganun naman talaga di ba. ang pinoy mahilig sa libre.

at dahil birtdey mo, ibibigay ko sayo ang aking pagkadalaga. choz!

John Halcyon von Rothschild said...

OMG! That's so true!
I remember when I picked up the tab for a friend's bday bash in Manila. He was eternally grateful.
People shouldn't have to pay when it's their birthday!

Happy Birthday to the sexy and smart McVie!

artistmonk said...

I had no idea it was your birthday. We've never met but I had a dream about you, last night. This is how it went:

You were on a ferry cruise with lots of people and you were wondering out loud how the disco hits "Best Of My Love" (The Emotions) and "Got To Be Real" (Cheryl Lynn) sound so alike. And I told you that I don't know why that is but they both sound good anyway. And then I woke up.

Belated happy birthday, sir. I hope you had a great one! :D

joelmcvie said...

@ARTISTMONK: That dream is sooooo cool! Thanks. =)

cant_u_read said...

binati ka namin sa ep4, kaya lang ung punyetang mypodcast, isang linggo nang di mapakinabangan dahil sa walang katapusang upgrade. bwisit!

belated happy birthday! we'll do a belated dinner date when we get to manila, ok?

joelmcvie said...

@YOUR ROYAL RYENESS: Yes we must have dinner when you guys are here! =)

And how about a podcast too? ;-)