Watch Me Entertain Myself!

Sacha Guitry once said, "You can pretend to be serious, but you can't pretend to be witty." Oh yes, I'm the great pretender.
(pilot episode: 20 January 2004)

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Speaking Of Age Gap

Yesterday I met up with Brian, a current member of Tanghalang Ateneo; I think he’s in his second year in college. For the 30th anniversary, our theater group is holding its Pearl Ball this Friday. Brian was tasked to ask me for songs that were hits during TA parties of yesteryears. You see, I was the resident DJ for TA parties for almost the whole decade of the 90s, so I had a good idea of which songs to include for the Pearl Ball playlist.

As I was transferring mp3 files onto Brian’s laptop, he asked me, “Do you think we should include more 80s songs?”

I paused and considered it. “Maybe let’s not put too many 80s songs,” I replied. “I’m not sure how many from my generation are going. If we’re only a few, let’s not put a lot of 80s. I don’t want to alienate the younger kids.”

Brian’s face lit up. “Oh no, I like the 80s!” he exclaimed. “A lot of us in our generation love 80s music.”

I smiled at him and said, “Hahaha, I guess you heard those songs from your kuyas and ates, huh?”

Beaming a guileless smile, Brian replied, “Oh no, I heard them from my parents.”

Screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech!

I actually heard mental tires squealing to a halt. “Your parents?” I weakly asked.

To his credit Brian got it. And we both laughed.

10 comments:

E said...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! This is SO FUNNY!!!

palma tayona said...

mwahahahaha!!!!!
mwahahahaha!!!!!

taena... sa susunod niyan joel eh makakatanggap ka na ng imbitasyon na sumali sa Lions Club. (aray)

Ming Meows said...

mano po tito mcvie...hehe

Anonymous said...

i am not an 80's kid.

i repeat, i am not an 80's kid.

~Carrie~ said...

awwww... i thought magiging romantic yung ending :(

the barefoot baklesa said...

benta!!! hahahaha!!!

darn, i wasn't able to attend the Tanghalang Ateneo Pearl Ball, was at the hospital for observation. Don Karingal messaged me that he saw my photos pop-up quite a few times at the tribute video during the live stream! hahahaha!!!

looks like twas fun. love the blog, joel...

joelmcvie said...

@THE BAREFOOT BAKLESA: At natuwa naman ako ng bonggang-bongga sa THE Niki de los Reyes-Torres. Sayang hindi ka nakapunta, masaya at bonggang-bongga. Mas masaya siguro had I DJ'ed that night, but I had to go back to the office to work.

Flipping Felipe said...

ACTUALLY.... totoo yan. My brother and sister-in-law belong to the bagets generation too. Meron na silang 19 years old na anak in college. So yes, magulang nga ni Brian yan. hahahaha.

the barefoot baklesa said...

was the pearl ball live stream ever recorded? i wanna see...

joelmcvie said...

@THE BABREFOOT BAKLESA: I'm not sure if the live stream was recorded. But according to Akong, Gabe Mercado was going around taking videos of the event. Baka naka-upload na yung mga yun sa Multiply niya.