Watch Me Entertain Myself!

Sacha Guitry once said, "You can pretend to be serious, but you can't pretend to be witty." Oh yes, I'm the great pretender.
(pilot episode: 20 January 2004)

Monday, March 30, 2009

A Petty Beyonce

I’ve always appreciated a great mash-up.

What is a mash-up? It’s when the vocal track of one song is superimposed onto the music track of another song. The better mash-ups are those that offer more than just, “Hey, the melody of this song can fit another song!” The better ones bring an added value, of one song informing the other with added weight or meaning.

For instance, exhibit A below:

“If I Were a Free Fallin’ Boy (Beyonce vs. Tom Petty)”



I particularly love how they juxtapose Tom Petty singing, “She’s a good girl” while Beyonce muses, “If I were a boy.” Wicked!

No comments: